Jefferson Hack interviewed Tom Ford as the cover story of Another Man’s Spring/Summer 2011 issue. Amongst the interview and shoot were “Tom Ford’s five easy lessons in how to be a modern gentleman”…if there was ever anyone qualified to be giving advice of this sort, its Tom Ford, so read on…
1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
4. Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.